10:10 PM

Darcy Pohland's Power of Will Remembered

Steve Quinn, a driving instructor for the Courage Center in Golden Valley says he will never forget a student he had in the early '90s, who despite suffering an injury that left her paralyzed, was more than determined to get back on the road.

"She reached up and grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me close right in my face and said, 'I will drive again, won't I?'" recalled Quinn.

"It was her way of saying, 'Look, we are just lucky to be here. We have a great opportunity to do good work and let's have fun doing it and do it in a professional way,'" said former WCCO news director John Lansing, who played a role in hiring Darcy.

"I think in the disability community we really, we just want to be able to work and do our jobs and the disability is secondary. And I think for a lot of people that she was the role model for that," said Sue Warner of the Courage Center.